Dear Listers,

As a Joni fan from the 60's, I find myself checking in with the list when I
know it will be a buzz.  Got my T'logue first thing Tuesday, having called
Circuit City to make sure it was stocked, and had it opened and ready to pop
in the CD player by the time I got in my car.  Anything I have to say about
Joni's genius would be redundant.

Reading the poetry thread, I remembered there was a similar thread on the
list in '97 and there was an excerpt which had a detailed analysis of Marcie
which I believe was part of a poetry textbook.  I checked the Archives, but
they don't go back that far.  Too bad.  I was an ESOL teacher in Japan for 26
years and often used Circle Game in my poetry classes to introduce Joni.  You
never know where new fans will be born.

I always look for opportunities to spread the Joni word and my greatest
triumph was hearing Joni quoted (after a comment by me) by one the leading
experts on Domestic Violence.  Judith Herman, author of Trauma and Recovery,
is presently at work on a book on Justice.  I was interviewed by her because
of my lengthy court odyssey when trying to extricate myself from my abusive
relationship.

I couldn't resist telling her that, as I would sit in court watching the
machinations of the various players in our criminal justice (or maybe
injustice) system, I'd sing Joni songs to myself. My then-husband's case once
got continued being bumped by an Ethiopian case since Ethiopian interpreters
are harder to come by than Japanese ones. So, I'm humming "Ethiopia" walking
out of the courtroom.  The ADA says, "Joni couldn't have a song about that!"

Even though my ex-husband was found "not guilty" at his jury trial, I felt
there was "poetic justice" of a sort when Judith Herman opened her talk on
Justice at Radcliffe with the Joni quote from "Sex Kills"...."Is Justice Just

So, I was very pleased that "Sex Kills" was included on T'logue.  There's a
moody sky today in Boston....think I'll head out for a mini-hejira with
Belle, the yellow lab I'm minding, and find some trees.

Mary