In a message dated 11/24/2002 1:21:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> have you listened
> to it in the dark, with no distractions, just letting yourself go where the
> music takes you...because this record really takes me on a visual journey,
> if i let it....it's cinematic...

Well, I've listened to it in the car on a late night drive through the
flatness of central Ohio.  I think listening to music while driving is one of
life's great pleasures.  But, IMHO, there's more cinematic-ness in Paprika
Plains than in any part of Travelogue.  I don't hate the music by any means
and it has some beautiful moments, like when Joni sings in TLTISR "get my
gorgeous wings and fly-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y away..." boy she just nails that!  But
what is good about Travelogue is what Joni originally wrote--the Mendoza
additions do nothing for me.  When the orchestra is playing themes contained
in the music as Joni wrote it i.e. the harp in Refuge which copies note for
note the guitar picking therein, it soars.  But the musical ideas that
Mendoza incorporates either muddy the composition or irritate.  Has anyone
been bothered by the fact that nearly every time a bird is mentioned in the
lyrics, Mendoza had the trite idea to have a bunch of flutes make birdlike
music?  I just don't get the impression that the ideas of her cohorts are on
the same level as her own.  Think about how much Jaco brought to the
compositions on Hejira--my God, Refuge of the Roads was a revelation with her
voice interwoven with his sweeping bass lines.  Very little of Travelogue
works that well for me.  I certainly do not hate this record, but I don't see
myself listening to it straight through a great deal.  Would I go see her do
this stuff live, you bet!  And, in the context of a live album performance (I
do believe it was all recorded live, correct?) it is certainly impressive.

Ken
and I second Mark's nomination of Rickie Lee Jones as a poet