That last one seemed to have a lot of unintentional numbers in it. I hope
this one doesn't.

Hey John --

John said > "Define poetry."

I9m happy to try to define 3poetry,2 although I would argue that my
definition is not particularly relevant, as the word is in the dictionary.
I9ll try for as catholic a definition as possible: poetry is writing
(printed, chanted, spoken, or sung) which gains added beauty and meaning
(beyond the literal) by the creative choice and juxtaposition of words.

Here are some dictionary definitions that are a bit less verbose:

Imaginative language or composition, whether expressed rhythmically or in
prose. Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, ) 1996, 1998 MICRA,
Inc.

1: Literature in metrical form [syn: poesy, verse] 2: any communication
resembling poetry in beauty or the evocation of feeling. Source: WordNet .
1.6, ) 1997 Princeton University.

John said > "Define good poetry. Here's one of my own poems: (from years
ago...apologies, apologies... I was young and did not know better...) Is it
good poetry? As good as Joni's?"

Ah, define GOOD poetry! This gets to my point. It9s ALL poetry. Rightly, you
did not ask me whether your writing was a poem, but whether it was a GOOD
poem. Um...I think it9s pretty good in parts (I won9t dissect it here but
would be glad to give you a full critique privately). I did enjoy reading
it. I don9t think it9s as good as Joni, but others may. Have you asked your
partner? Obviously the answer to the question of whether a particular poem
is bad, good, or sublime will differ from person to person. Academic poets
and students of poetry will bring a different set of criteria to the
question than lay people.

Your post seems to express a  desire to work toward a definition of absolute
good. It9s a noble desire and, I think, a spiritual one. As a great poet
once said:

"No one knows
They can never get that close
Guesses at most
Guesses based on what each set of time and change is touching"

I love Joni's poetry for many reasons. I love it because she finds gorgeous
metaphors, because she speaks in cadences which resonate for me (as one who
grew up loving pop music and also studying great poets from Homer to Donne
to Eliot to Frank O'Hara), because her words seem direct, sincere, and
heartfelt, because there is a sophistication to her thinking but no marriage
to a particular "school" of thought, because her descriptive powers are
strong, because the themes of many of her poems intersect with my own
personal questions about love and life, and because the poetry is written by
Joni. My life has been informed by these poems. I have lived, grown, and
loved with these poems imprinted upon my psyche.

Best,

David