Critics have been in the forefront of the list's traffic recently, for
obvious reasons, and there has always been much vitriol directed at these
members of the 4th estate, who, let's not forget, are being paid good money
to watch films, listen to records and so on - so not too much sympathy for
them!

However, the ones who have a proper sense of their own importance (or lack of
it) serve a useful purpose, I believe; and the ones who can really write can
brighten my day in the same way as can great writing from any other type of
journalist: a felicitous turn of phrase, or a heartfelt vote of confidence
for a great record, film or whatever; or a harsh-but-fair skewering of some
zillionaire's vanity project  - all these can make for refreshing reading.

If anyone is interested in investigating a truly BRILLIANT and unique critic,
check out Nancy Banks-Smith, an undeclared national treasure, who does telly
reviews for the Guardian.  She can make me laugh out loud, and is never
gratuitously nasty about programes or programme makers.  A link below shows a
good sample of her style, and I believe it works as good writing even if you
didn't see the programmes (which I didn't).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv_and_radio/story/0,3604,850170,00.html

Back to music and films, there are a few phrases from reviews that have stuck
in my mind over the years, and which have, in their small way, contributed to
the enrichment of the written word.  Some of my favourites, slightly
paraphrased from memory, but correct in their essentials:

[of Fleetwood Mac] - "As a British blues band in the 60s, they redefined the
limits of how many times Elmore James's Dust My Broom slide guitar lick could
be shoehorned into songs with different titles."

[of Kevin Rowland's first solo album , The Wanderer] - "We can tell Rowland
has mellowed, as the words 'baby' or 'darling' occur 50 times and the phrase
'middle class bitch' only once."

[of Roy Scheider] - "His face is now so leathery that when he dies I hope it
will be possible to turn him into a handbag." [that was Charles Shaar Murray]

[of Pierce Brosnan, in a late 80s film, possibly Taffin] - "He always carries
a whiff of the miniseries about him."

Azeem in London
NP: a fantastic compilation called "Exploratory Music from Portugal" from
Songlines magazine, which I found in a second hand shop for all of two pounds