[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< I wish I understood what the hell she was
talking about. What is a panto? What is a skip? >>

Ah!  Two nations separated by a common language, again.  Panto is an
abbreviation for pantomime, a form of theatre which is quintessentially
English (although I've no idea what its origins are).  It involves well-known
storylines such as Peter Pan, Ali Baba And The 40 Thieves, and is chiefly a
Christmas season phenomenon, being aimed at what programmers like to call
"younger audiences", which to you or me means kids.  Staples of panto include
cross dressing (the main characters are usually played by actors of the
oppposite sex), very broad comedy including pratfalls and running around in
panic, and audience participation: when the villain is creeping up on the
hero, the audience shout out "He's behind you!" en masse; or an argument will
develop, and a character will say "Oh yes it is", whereupon the audience will
riposte "OH NO IT ISN'T!!"  Erm, does this help??

A skip is a large receptacle for rubbish (or should I say Trash?) which is
delivered on the back of a large lorry (truck!) and deposited outside
someone's house, typically when someone is doing a large clear-out.  So,
they'll be full of the detritus of a houshold, often stuff that may seem
perfectly serviceable.

Hope that hasn't killed Nancy's subtle and whimsical humo(u)r...

By the way, you may also be wondering who the hell Bernie Clifton is: As you
may have gathered, his Schtick was a comedy ostrich which he "rode", his legs
being the ostrich's legs, and a fake pair of legs being draped of the
ostrich's sides, giving the "hilarious" effect of a fully grown man riding
said oversized bird.  Crikey, what Brits used to do for entertainment in the
70s...

Azeem in London