Bryan wrote:

"Having just read the W interview in full...please let's clarify: Joni didn't
swipe at Judy, she swiped at Judy's too-sweet, sing-songy arrangement of BSN.
As for "ripping off"...please! Joni's career was in large part launched by
the covers that Judy and others did. That's certainly not a rip-off."

Me now:  I agree with Bryan that Joni's career got a huge jump-start thanks to
the covers done by Judy Collins, Tom Rush, the late Dave Van Ronk and others
in the mid-sixties.  Judy, as the most commercially successful of this initial
group, perhaps deserves the most heartfelt "thank you" from Joni fans.

However, I remain discouraged that Judy's version of "BSN" is the only one
that many people are familiar with, and the one many others regard as the
"original" to judge other covers by.  My own mother dutifully listened to a
tape of a mature Joni singing "BSN" a couple of years back, but basically
thought that Joni was mutilating her own song, because all my mother knew was
Judy's sing-songy version.   SIGH.

But she did listen.

Mary.