Came to me in my sleep this morning around 6 am.  About the "to be or not to
be`` smoking issue. A compromise that could please everyone! Why not just have
Joan's right arm draped along the back of the bench with her middle and index
fingers close enough to hold a cig, without actually having a bronze one in
place?. A bronze cigarette would be very tacky, I say, and people would
probably stroke it for good luck!  For those die-hards who insist on seeing a
cigarette in her hands (and I fully understand, while not sharing that
opinion), they could light one up and put a real one in place. It could be our
little (perverse) joke...kinda like the way those people in Seattle dress up
their bronze pedestrians in winter.
And speaking of clothes, I see Joni wearing a shallow-brimmed hat (small
enough to expose some of her face, but large enough to keep snow and pidgeon
poop off it!) and long sleeves and slacks. Can't imagine a silk chiffon dress
in minus 30 weather!  I would also nix the idea of showing her playing music
or singing or any movement, for that matter, as modern sculptural attempts to
arrest motion in time often look amateurish at best (I think we lost that art
- portraying motion, sometime after the Renaissance). IMHO, it would be more
dignified to have her just sitting there, lost in her thoughts, pondering one
of those bridges over the river, maybe the Broadway Bridge, where she played
with Cherokee Louise as a young girl.

Michael in Quebec