I'm afraid theres no worst section in my mind. Theres only good better and the best. i
think the job that was done on slouching towards bethlehem and jobs sad song and otis
and marlena is outstanding. it seems like larry and joni have improved their
production when it comes to producing an orchestra. on bsn it sounded a bit brass and
flat. here it's rich and warm and full of surprises. you're right about the
dawntreader, though no harp can ever replace joni's guitar. oy, joni's guitar. I blame
it all on her painting. if her fingers and hands are realy so weak, how can she paint
so much but at the same time claim she can't play the guitar? damn those brushes! but
i disagree with you on woodstock. even the first version has this sense of loss and
sadness. and don't you just love listening to ludwigs tune now that it sounds realy
beethovenish?
in general, joni has finaly realised that that smoking-singing-vibrato was realy too
much on bsn, and you can hear her here even grasping for air every now and then and
shortning words in order to avoid the vibrato.sometimes it even sounds as if she's
half singing half talking. i also think that joni has done her best in order to avoid
tributing the songs and making them sound fresh, and there is something very fresh
about this album, not at all a swan song. i wish i could hear it now but it's late
night here so i'll wait till the morning comes.

love,

nuriel