i remember reading a while back joni saying shed never release a greatest hits or
a box set, because she felt people would stop buying her catalog. shed said shed
seen it happen to others. but she released those hits and misses. well, hits was ok,
but misses was a big pile o crap. Someone on this list made up her own version and it
was infinitley better. never let an artist pick out their own best-ofs. they never
have a clue. (witness laura nyros stoned soul picnic double cd.). the solution is
simple. let me do it. i know whats best. period. so without further adieu, here is the
definitive joni mitchell box set.
   ive given myself some restraints. i believe around 20 cuts per cd is a good
average, less on later work, because most artists tend to get more long winded. oh,
and one more thing. joni CANT do the graphics. i will. basically it will be a TON of
black and white high contrast photos spanning her entire career, tiny color pix of
each album, all lyrics and recording dates, and an extensive, recent, non crabby
interview with joni.

disc one: early years
  1. winter lady (from radio) (so pretty and sad)
  2. eastern rain (radio) (an amazing song-should have been on STAS)
  3. both sides now (radio) (tuneful-up and flowing)
  4. good samaratin (early version of this flight tonight)
  5. get together (live from big sur)
  6. things go better (jonis coke commercial) (it rocks and is so funny)
  7. marcie (her best early song)
  8. michael (sounds like a spirit is singing this in an empty house)
  9. night in the city (never ceases to get me up)
  10. cactus tree (just the best the best the best)
  11. chelsea morning (another getter upper-the epitome of early joni)
  12. both sides now ( a little dirgy compared to the bbc radio versions)
  13. i think i understand (so simple so beautiful and so well sung)
  14. that song about the midway (so sophisticated)
  15. dawntreader (such an exqusite melody)
  16. the gallery (enough little melodic hooks in this one for 3 songs)
  17. rainy night house (so wonderfully strange and mysterious)
  18. woodstock (not my fave-prefer csny version)
  19. circle game (ick-always disliked this one-but must be here, i guess)
  20. morning morgantown (so perfectly sweet)
  21. urge for going (b side of radio-just about perfect)
  22. big yellow taxi (always sounds good) (and becomes more true as the years roll
along!)

disc two: acclaimed years
  1. carey (love when she rocks)
  2. case of you (everyones favorite-not mine tho)
  3. california (simple summery perfection)
  4. blue ( important song, but too melancholy for me)
  5. river (so unusual and strange)
  6. all i want (pop perfection-eternal ebullience)
  7. electricity (one of my top 10 - i cant hear it enough)
  8. cold blue steel (amazing amazing AMAZING)
  9. woman of heart and mind
     (another top 10 - speaks volumes)
  10. for the roses (joni was peaking here for me)
  11. barangrill (magic-top 10)
  12. down to you (everyones favorite-but
        i need more melody)
  13. court and spark (this one always takes me right back)
  14. peoples parties ( top 10 perfection)
  15. free man in paris (exciting with a great tune)
  16. help me (a lot love it but its blah to me)
  17. raised on robbery (yes yes yes)
  18. jericho live (good song, exciting in a live performance)
  19. love or money live (ditto)

disc three: peak years
  1. dont interrupt the sorrow (certainly my fave
      from hissing maybe my fave joni song of all time)
  2. boho dance (subtle and gets better each listening)
  3. jungle line (exciting and dense)
  4. in frace they kiss on mainstreet
     ( refreshing as a spring evening)
  5. shades of scarlett conquering
     ( very cinematic-and none other than elvis c just
     loves it for its outstanding lyrics)
  6. song for sharon (top 10--maybe top 1)
  7. refuge of the roads (sublime)
  8. amelia-(outstanding song from an outstanding album)
  9. coyote-(this one reads like a really good novel)
  10. hejira (its like a beautiful movie--top 10)
  11. dry cleaner from des moines (so rich and very funny-
        unusual for joni)
  12. God must be a boogie man-(nice culmination of
        the mingus project)
  13. otis & marlena-(just grows and grows on me)
  14. overture/cotton avenue (i just couldnt seperate the 2)
  15. don juans reckless daughter (ooooh top 10 top 10!)
  16. hejira live (a nice winding down to the side-
       and a great yet different version)

disc four: no comprimise
  1. moon at the window (some real jazzy joni for a change)
  2. chinese cafe (like her oldies selection)
  3. impossible dreamer (a pretty gem plucked from
      the nadir of her career)
  4. beat of black wings  (strange-spooky-wonderful)
  5. bird that whistles (overlooked gem-why doesnt
      anyone ever vote for this one on the song poll?)
  6. slouching towords bethlehem (what a grabber-
      moves like a parade of camels)
  7. passion play  (so fresh and exciting-and joni sings here
      as well as ever)
  8. night ride home  (top 10 material here-just perfect)
  9. two grey rooms  (one of THOSE kind of joni songs
     -just great
  10. sex kills  (a little preachy but killer hooks)
  11. turbulent indigo  (as good as anything she has
       ever done-top 10 for sure)
  12. sunny sunday  (whistful and fine)
  13. the sire of sorrow (a quintissental and very cool song -well sung too)
  14. no apologies  (one of many great tunes from an
        underrated albun)
  15. taming the tiger (very good and very brave)
  16. face lift (have you listened to this lately?)
  17. my best to you (heartbreakingly sad and beautiful)
  18. both sides now (the ol girls been thru a lot-
       and it shows-in a nice way though)
  19. a case of you (ditto) (...we could possibly instead, end with a travelog song
but i aint listed to it yet)

ok that was fun. warner reprise please take note.
  • Re: walterphil
    • Re: Little Bird