I am sad to say that I haven't heard Travelogue yet because a certain >person who will remain unnamed has forbidden me to purchase it because >he is sending it to me for my birthday. Said birthday was December >1st and even though I ate Thanksgiving dinner at said friend's house (which was lovely), I did not receive my birthday gift. I did >receive last year's Xmas gift and housewarming which was a beautiful oil painting done by said friend so >I am not really complaining. However I am unable to listen to >Travelogue in my car as said friend is doing on a daily basis.

This has happened to me once or twice. What I have done is bought the copy of whatever it is that I was anxious to here. If the gift did come later on, I would take it to the store were it was bought and picked out something different. Your friend would never need to know. If for some reason your friend would give it to you with the wrapper removed because she listened to it first, etc...(yes I have received gifts like this and I have still appreciated them), then I would tell her the truth. I bought it because you failed to give it to me despite the fact that you knew my level of desperation to hear Joni's new album. If she knows that you are a big Joni fan and that you participate on this list every day, then I think she should be prompt with the goods. Especially if she knows that the only reason you have not bought it is because she said she would give it to you. I don't think your friend will take it the wrong way if you portray yourself as a true Joni addict that is going through withdrawal. Hopefully she will realize that you just couldn't wait one more day.

When Judy came out with the album "Voices", I bought it for a friend of mine 2 weeks before her birthday. Thinking that she might buy it I drove by her house, picked her up and took her to my dad's farm where there is a beautiful lake. It was night time and slightly breezy and I already had 2 lounge chairs, a table with coffee and doughnut and my boom box. I played it for her and she didn't even know what to say she was so thrilled. I did not let her see the packaging or anything until her actual b-day. This made her thrill at actually receiving it even bigger because she already new how great it was. It's like taking someone to their favorite restaurant. They already know what to expect. Till this day she talks about the great way in which i let her listen to her gift. It would have been nice if your friend had given you a sneak preview on Thanksgiving.
Will