Just when you start to feel like we haven't made any progress at all as a civilization, something happens to slap you right in the face.

This weekend, my 13 year old daughter and I were watching a movie - the setting is 1930s Alabama. During a courtroom scene, as the camera pans the room showing the "colored" section in the balcony, my daughter pipes up - "well, if they hated black people so much, why did they give them the best seats?"

I laughed until I cried. Those Hammerskins don't stand a chance!

Sybil
P.S. Of course, my daughter thought I was somehow making fun of her and got all upset with me - these touchy teenagers. I was really at a loss to explain to her just why what she said was funny, and that's the part that really made me smile.