I've been thinking about Joni's ravaged voice
(all that smoking, all that talking, all that
LIVING), and wondering why it sometimes
bothers me and sometimes does not.

I feel like that character on SEINFELD who
always answers his own questions. "Do I
wish that Joni could still hit those high notes?
Of course. Am I put off by the choppy phrasing
others have noted here? Sure. But is there
much to love in Joni's voice now? Yes!

For one, its whiskey-sour quality brings
a brand-new sexiness to songs such as
FLAT TIRES, TROUBLE CHILD, GMBABM
and BE COOL. And Joni's languid, held-back
jazz phrasing is more assured than ever.

Her thrilling lower register adds a new
womanliness and wisdom to DAWNTREADER,
RICHARD and CIRCLE GAME. These are older
songs; and I like the feeling that Joni is telling
me these stories of hers again, years later, and
making me really listen to the words. That "And a dream
of a baby" in DAWNTREADER is devastating.
I love the lightness in RICHARD; where the
original is full of sorrow, this version is
fond, accepting and hopeful (and, as someone
mentioned earlier, she really nails "Only a dark
cocoon before I get my gorgeous wings and fly
away"). As for CIRCLE GAME, I imagine Joni
singing it to a child. Such tenderness in that
"Caught a dragonfly / Inside a jar."

There's a welcome intimacy throughout.
I feel that Joni's readings of LOVE, CHINESE CAFE
and CHEROKEE LOUSIE are as naked and intimate as
anything on BLUE.

And even some of her odd, chopped-up phrasing
really works for me. At first I didn't like
AMELIA; but now, her breaking up of
"It was just a flase alarm" (different each time)
suggests that she's searching for the words,
singing it for the first time -- which adds to the
drama. So too her reading, in HEJIRA, of
"A defector / From the petty wars / Until /
LOVE / Sucks me back that way." Boy, can I
feel that!

Finally, I guess I have to confess that some pretty
devastating things have happened to me
recently; and the very human quality of
T'LOG -- with its sorrows and joys, its
bombast and intimacy, its roughness and
smoothness, its glory and its pits (!) -- is more
comforting than I can put into words.

And so, for me, T'LOG is viintage Joni; and
long may she wave.

MICHAEL in Toronto