In a message dated 12/14/2002 3:00:40 AM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> > "for free". ick
>
> Wow.  For Free (off of MOA!) is one of favorites.  Have you listened to
> this version lately.  I think its stunning.

I first heard Joni in 1984 in Ed's college dorm room.  I had heard of her
before but thought she was a country singer.  I thought she was OK, but then
again I was more fascinated with the large population of Dead Heads on
campus.  Over the following 2 semesters, Ed played Joni's music and made
attempts to enrich me musically.

Stifled in my parents home in 1985 for summer break, I bought C&S and LOTC in
an attempt to reconnect with my college friends far away.  I can pinpoint the
exact moment that summer when I realized Joni's significance and brilliance.
I was standing at the window waiting for a friend to pick me up, listening to
For Free and reading the lyrics on my gatefold.  I could not believe what I
was hearing!  This singer acknowledging everything she has; jewels, velvet
curtain calls, limos, yet she really feels the sound coming from a street
musician.  I never heard a singer so revealed. Although I had been listening
to Joni for a year, this was the first time I ever HEARD her.

My friend arrived and we went straight to the record store where I picked up
a copy of Blue.  The journey had begun.

Ed, wherever you are, thank you.

Kurt