But I will NEVER put a collar on him again, and advise everyone I know
against them as well - which is the main reason I'm sending this to the list
(although Joni is a cat person, so I know she wouldn't mind)!

Hell

I agree with you. collars on cats are dangerous. in fact they are not that clever on dogs either. iveyr nearly lost a Lab many years ago.She jumped a fence but her collar got caught. Had I not been there , she would have hung.
None of my dogs wear collars(and neither did my cats). My dogs are NEVER out side of my house/garden without me or without a lead.