[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< T is made for those who never heard Joni. Great, this way we'll come
across
as more "mainstream" and less "weird" when playing  T as background music to
non-admirers of the QUOMB. >>

Ah, there's the rub!  I'm sure you're right Laurent, but I have a real fear
that, should anyone buy this album as a Joni primer, they'll listen to it and
think "Crikey, who's this croaky woman who can't sing," and not be encouraged
to investigate further.

Despite my own negative response about Travelogue, I can understand why some
(or indeed many) of my fellow Joni-admirers would like it: they have lived
with the songs, they have grown up and older listening to Joni, they have
heard her voice deepen and change (and can live with where it's now arrived
at), and this new collection will reflect a weight of experience, and itself
be carried by the experience the listener brings to it.

However, none of this will apply to a new arrival at the Joni Mitchell
shrine!  My misgiving is that this would be a very hard album for a "newbie"
to get into.  It's preaching to the converted, and while some of the faithful
will desert, I honestly find it hard to believe that there will be a
compensatory attracting of new fans to the fold.  To use a sporting analogy,
if you've been playing football all afternoon and it's been getting slowly
darker, your eyes adjust, and you can carry on playing.  Someone who turns up
in the gloaming will say "For God's sake, I can't see a bloody thing here!"

I don't know what the sales figures are like, so I don't know whether they
will tend to support or refute this view - leaving aside the important factor
of how much PR muscle has been expended on promoting it.

Bob S added, on this subject:

<<  To dismiss after (or during) a first listen sounds to my ear to be
disrespectful (even if one is correct) at best, and could be viewed as
foolishly arrogant (if one
turns out to be wrong) at worst. For this reason, there is - IMO - a
difference between offering a negative first impression and a positive first
impression. (If it turns out that the positive first impression was
premature, well....sort of 'no harm, no foul'...but on the other side..) >>

I disagree, Bob.  First up, there is no "right" and "wrong" - stating the
obvious, I guess, but maybe it needs repeating here.  Why is it
"disrespectful" to say I have listened to this record and really don't like
it, for the following reasons?  It implies that Joni is some deity who cannot
be criticised.  I was not flinging random insults around, I was giving an
honest response, and clearly stating that it was based on first impressions.
Plenty of people disagreed with me, and put opposing views, nearly all of
them very forthright and wholly respectful - THAT is at the heart of what
this list is supposed to be about, isn't it?  Some people agreed, which
reassured me that I wasn't going completely off my trolley.

Secondly, I'm pretty sure that no harm of any kind whatsoever can be done by
someone posting a negative response to a new record.  If I had been reviewing
it for any kind of publication, of course I would have listened to the whole
thing, more than once, before submitting my copy.  There's a big difference
here.  I don't believe for a second that anyone would have decided not to buy
the album on the basis of my comments.  So where's the harm?

Azeem in London