In a message dated 12/17/2002 8:14:56 AM Eastern Standard Time, Bobsart48 writes:

> Also, in the Refuge version,
> at the end of "And I'll play if you have the money, or if you're a friend to
> me' she adds "(then you'll get a backstage pass, and you'll
> get in free)'  or
> some such.

Also in the live '83 versions (which I agree are definitive) she changes the lyric to
"they knew that he'd never been on MTV, so they passed his good music by..."

Like you say Bob, this one appears to be a touchstone that she's been able to relate
to for a long time. Probably would have been a nice addition to T'log...the orchestra
fades out to reveal a lone clarinetist...or in this case Wayne on the soprano sax,
playing a real solo instead of a momentary trill.

Bob

NP: Elvis C, "Clown Strike"