In a message dated 12/20/2002 10:01:35 AM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> I'd
> say it's kind of bluesy and plain speaking, if that makes any sense.  I love the way
>she
> annunciates and syncopates.  Its like each word is
> individually framed within a phrasing that is
> otherwise -somewhat whimsical.

Very true, Susie Guzzi...I guess it's like Azeem (maybe?) said, it depends on how you
define "sweet" as it pertains to singing. And Dinah's coquetteishness on some of her
material sounds "sweet" to me. But as you say, she is extrememly versatile and sings
in many different idioms. Between her & Sarah Vaughan, I could just listen all day!
Dinah is probably one of the most under-rated vocalists of all time IMO.

Linda Ronstadt is another who can certainly sing in a sweet style (her take on "Heart
Like A Wheel" as a perfect example, or "Blue Bayou") and then turn around and be what
my Mom called a "tough" singer with a growl in her vocal.

Bob

NP: CSNY, "Long Time Gone"