--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On the other hand, I
> really respect people like Paul Simon, James Taylor,
> and Edie Brickell
> (Paul's wife, who was sitting behind him), for
> swimming against the current
> tide in our culture of artificial celebrities.  It
> didn't look like anyone
> had "done" Edie's hair or make-up. She didn't look
> like she even had any
> make-up on, and she's beautiful. I feel the same way
> about James Taylor. He's
> a bald man who walks out on stage and does his job
> and I think he looks
> pretty damn good doing it. The music and his
> integrity speaks for himself.
> I'm not so sure if I can say the same thing about
> Joni. "Even on the scuffle,
> the cleaner's crease was in [her] jeans...."  That's
> okay. A crease is one
> thing. But I have very little respect for the
> completely artificial stars
> like Brittney Spears, etc.  I'm always amazed that
> pop stars will actually
> list on their CDs the person responsible for their
> make-up, hair, clothing,
> shoes, etc.  It makes you wonder if the person can
> go the bathroom without
> having an official butt-wiper.

You forgot the part about them thanking God for their
talent and so on. God gets a credit on a lot of pop
music CD covers these days - I wonder if he gets
royalties?

I get a bit tired of people with perfect hair and
perfect teeth. Brittney Spears is really pretty,
that's for sure, and I'm sure she credits her
orthodontist somewhere - the teeth are a bit too white
and straight, aren't they? Maybe we could all be that
pretty if we had the bucks.

I'm always amazed at the fact that people "wear" these
expensive designer fashions that leave nothing to the
imagination. It seems like the less material is
involved, the more expensive the clothing - like the
see-through dresses with the halter-style tops slashed
down to the navel (let's face it, there are very few
people, IMO, that look good in a halter top; if they
want people to see their tits, why bother wearing
anything on top at all?) And let's not forget the
bum-floss bottoms. Then again, there's the
strategically ripped T-shirts and cut-off jeans - like
these people can't afford to buy new clothes? they've
got to wear the ripped stuff?

I didn't see the show. I'm remembering Paul Simon's
fuzzy head of hair from his last CD, so I think I can
imagine. Maybe he should just shave his head after
all. Here we go with the bald-headed thing again. Some
baldies are so cute. JT does look cute and he always
dresses very nicely, but doesn't overdo it. He always
manages to look like a real gent.

Joni likes to dress well - she always did. Some of the
outfits she wears these days are pretty laughable,
IMO, but at least she's not hanging out all over and
she carries it off well. Few of us could wear those
Issey Miyake kite-dresses or puffy things and get away
with it. The stuff Joni's wearing these days (in
concert, anyway) do suit the glam-style orchestrated
stuff, but would look weird if/when Joni decides to go
it alone with a small band. In the PWWAM video, her
clothing is simpler but still quietly glamourous. She
always looks well put-together (even the "terrible"
DED perm suited the times - everyone needs to
experiment with bad hair at least once in their life!)

=====
Catherine
Toronto