Happy New Year everyone! Is everyone eating your hoppin' John today?
It'll not only help you recover from your hangover and the effects of
smoke (from that smoke-filled, champagne-laden bar), it'll bring you
good fortune for the coming year!

Don't believe me? Don't know what I'm talking about?

Put together some cooked black-eyed peas, white rice, onions, salt,
pepper, a piece of ham for flavoring (or a little cider vinegar if you
don't use meat), and yummy! It's a must do on New Year's Day!

Or there is the ham hock and collard greens tradition, my mother's
favorite. The collard greens are supposed to guarantee greenbacks,
money, in the coming year. To me it just looked like a way to use the
leftover-from-Christmas ham bone. Boil the ham hock in a pot with the
collard greens until every bit of meat is about to fall off, and the
culinary treat and good luck charm is ready.

I go for the hoppin' John myself. Still don't believe me when I say how
important this is? Hmmm, http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/01/dining/01HOPP.html

Here's hoping it's a great year for everyone!

Debra Shea

Now smelling: black-eyed peas simmering on the stove
Now hearing: Joni's Raised on Robbery (she does do some pleasantly
snappy tunes!)
Now thinking: The beginning of the new year is looking good!