kasey simpson wrote:

> My limited understanding of unemployment is that it is an insurance paid for
> by companies.

On my pay stubs there's always a deduction for NY SUI/SDI, which is my
"contribution" to the unemployment/disability insurance fund. It's a
very small amount compared to the other taxes deducted, but it's
something I pay into every time I get a paycheck. Since unemployment
compensation is a combination federal/state program, maybe other states
don't deduct anything from employees' paychecks for it, and only the
employers in those states fund the program. Or perhaps the employees'
contribution in those states is included in their state tax deduction.

> The total amount is based on how many employees, and the
> risk of lay offs in the given industry.  Once a minimum is met, the company
> doesn't pay any more in unless they have a lay off, and benefits are used.

I'll take your word for all that since I don't know the exact formula
used. I have heard that a company's premiums go up if they lay a lot of
people off. One consequence is that the more heartless companies come up
with all sorts of excuses for firing people rather than laying them off.
Then they can fight the compensation claim those former employees file. Nasty.

> Actions speak louder than words.

I agree completely with that, and think it's true in general, not only
in politics.

Debra Shea