Peter Gabriel UP is great.

For me, the great discoveries of 2002 were Ryan Adams, Patricia Barber,
Dominic Miller and Los Lobos.
There's no need to elaborate on Ryan or Patricia Barber, they've both been
posted about many times.  Great talents.

Dominic Miller: well known as Sting's guitarist, made 2 CDs playing
classical/jazz/soothing music of the spheres, all on classical guitar.

Los Lobos: Until now, I only knew them as a rock band made famous by La Bamba
and How Will the Wolf Survive.
What I discovered is a very eclectic band of fine talented musicians who can
play anything.  What blew my mind is KIKO because the music is impossible to
describe.  I'd say "experimental" for lack of a better term.  Their album
contain a mix of garage rock, Mexican music (love that accordeon, an
instrument which I normally can't stand) to darker moods.  The albums are as
varied as Joni's IMHO.  My other favorites CDs by them are This Time and The
Neighborhood.
I was in L.A. when the band first emerged.  I remember people had this good
conscience attitude which said in essence that Los Lobos made it even though
they are all Chicanos from East L.A.  Personally, I feel that if they weren't
Chicanos they'd probably be as big as U2 (just as I always felt that Chuck
Berry would have been bigger than Elvis had he been white).

Laurent