I only saw Joni live once and
that was in 1976 but i am so glad that I did.  I did not realize at the time
that it would probably be the only time in my life that I would ever see her
perform.  Anyway, I've been thinking about what to write about that concert.

I wish I had it all stored right in my head, but you know it was (I just did
the math) 27 years ago, so it's not a whole video, just images or moments
that fit into a larger scenario.  Anyway, I do remember being really close.
This is when  great artists/musicians could actually play for people. I
remember being awestricken. I remember Joni being very thin and noticeing
that, thinking she was too thin.  I know she wore black pants. I clearly her
remember sitting at the piano.  And I remember her introducing and performing

"Coyote" as a new song.

Andrea

I saw Joni perform on that same tour. I think Joni wore the same, or similar,
black slacks at the show I attended,  in January or February I think at the
University of Cincinnati Fieldhouse (a building now gone, I think). The place
was over-sold (it's amazing the fire marshall didn't shut the show down,
people were sitting in the aisles) and there was a lot of controversy about
the promoter overselling the house and perhaps moving the show to a larger
venue. Anyway, Joni didn't say a word that night, other than asking the
audience something like "So, are you guys a little crazy?" as a way of
introducing Twisted. She wore a feather boa while doing Raised on Robbery.
She laughed a little while singing "the wind rushed around in the dirty town"
in For Free, perhaps a comment on how she viewed Cincinnati. She was indeed
very thin. I remember she announced some new material and then sang a  long
medley of Coyote and DJRD (which sounded very similar to each other at that
time, the final arrangements hadn't been worked out, and DJRD lacked Jaco's
incredible bass performance). Anyway, I remember thinking Joni seemed rather
distant and vulnerable, while being kind of "icy." But I loved that, it added
to the Siquomb mystique. During that tour, Rolling Stone published a
scathingly negative concert review that included a very awful photo of Joni
looking very skeletal and wraith-like.

Anyway, I was very young and impressionable at the time (still in high
school) and I think it was my first concert. Obviously, it had quite an
impact...

Bryan