In a message dated 1/18/2003 10:31:55 AM Eastern Standard Time, Bobsart48
writes:

> Interesting - once upon a time, you suggested to me (when I was considering
> completing my collection) that having Hits was probably worth it for that
> reason, and  also for UFG (which I did not have in any form until you later
> sent a live version to me on one of the CD's you prepared for me - remember
> ?).

I'm sure I'll pick up Hits & Misses one of these days. I'll throw in a bid
every now & again on Ebay, but I always get sniped. I ain't sweating it, as
the studio version of UFG is on the "Alternate Blue" that I have, and I have
enough live versions too! :~)

> 1.       I'm glad Joni did not call it "Greatist Hits", aren't you ?

Yes, because it would be SO embarrassing to have that misspelled word on the
cover! ;~)
It would also indicate that she had LOTS of hits to choose from, and just
picked the 'greatest' ones for this collection. As we know, the reality is
that she only had 1 major hit in the US ("Help Me") & a couple of minor ones.
She DID have good exposure on FM radio in the 70's, which was more free-form,
so many of her minor hits are known, and of course there are the songs she
wrote that were hits for others.
Of course, the lack of real hits hasn't stopped bazillions of artists from
issuing Greatest Hits collections...I remember getting "Trini Lopez' greatest
hits" free with a 6-pack of Pepsi. It was a 45!! :~)

> 4.       I think that Joni could fill up at least a half-dozen albums of
> Misses.

But of course, by definition! "Misses" would indicate a great song that was
not a commercial success as a single, right? Joni has a TON of those - she
really only has a small handful of songs that are out-and-out turkeys,
certainly a smaller percentage than anyone I can think of with her volume of
work.

> 6.       I have sent Leah the lyrics to all of STAS and scattered others
> (mostly from JM's early work). I will also send her STAS and one other JM
> record - which one would you-all recommend ? (I am thinking it will have to
> be from C&S or earlier - we still need to set the hook.) She will have at
> least until May to absorb this, and perhaps until August if her grant is
> extended.

C&S gets my vote. Great hooks, great ear appeal, and lyrically stunning.

Bob

NP: Los Lobos, "What In The World"