Mike, ok, I've got my helmet on. ;-)   I DO like Robert Fisk.  He's
been living in the Middle East for 25 years and knows it like the
back of his hand, and I trust his reporting enormously.  Stress on
reporting, because I'm not sure I trust his analysis much.  His blind
spots (as I see them) come from the fact that he loves the Arabs and
Arab culture, and he hates to see them and others attack it.  He's
just as critical of the Arabs for the way they often screw things up
for themselves.

These blind spots can lead him to play with the facts when he's
writing analysis pieces.  But you have to know your stuff to be able
to spot it, and who can be bothered to look up every reference he
makes to check he's quoting accurately?

As we're talking about the manipulation of facts, you might be
interested in these three examples from just one of Fisk's articles
of the way he has a tendency to slip and slide around (the whole
article can be read at
http://www.independent.co.uk/story.jsp?story=362545

Fisk writes: ". . . "Izzy" Asper [owner of the Canadian National
Post] has written a gutless and repulsive editorial in the Post. . .
falsely accusing reporters of "lazy, sloppy or stupid" journalism and
being "biased or anti-Semitic". These vile slanders are familiar to
any reporter trying to do his work on the ground in the Middle East.
They are made even more revolting by inaccuracies."

"Mr Asper, for example, claims that my colleague Phil Reeves compared
the Israeli killings in Jenin earlier this year - which included a
goodly few war crimes (the crushing to death of a man in a
wheelchair, for example) - to the "killing fields of Pol Pot". Now Mr
Reeves has never mentioned Pol Pot. But Mr Asper wrongly claims that
he did."

My objection:

1. Phil Reeves DID compare Jenin to "the killing fields" in his
article, which you can read at
http://www.marxists.de/middleast/jenin/jenin1604.htm.  It's true that
he didn't actually use the words "Pol Pot".  Asper inserted those
words into the article (which was actually the reporting of a speech
he made, not an editorial as Fisk claims) probably to make sure
everyone in his audience understood what the "killing fields"
reference was about.  And Phil Reeves almost certainly DID mean it
that way.  Furthermore, Reeves had to write another article
backtracking on his reporting on Jenin, when it turned out not to
have been the slaughter the Palestinians claimed it was.  Fisk does
not mention that.  But I think any journalist who really wanted to
tell the whole story would have included that information (or would
have left the Phil Reeves reference out entirely).  But the reference
fits Fisk's thesis, and so he leaves it in, but only in part, and
therefore inaccurate.

Fisk writes:

"It gets worse. Mr Asper, whose "lazy, sloppy or stupid" allegations
against journalists in reality apply to himself, states. . . that "in
1917, Britain and the League of Nations declared, with world
approval, that a Jewish state would be established in Palestine". Now
hold on a moment. The Balfour Declaration of 1917 did not say that a
Jewish state would be established. It said that the British
government would "view with favour the establishment in Palestine of
a national home for the Jewish people." The British refused to use
the words "Jewish state".

My objection:

2. It's true that the Balfour Declaration does not use the words
"Jewish state".  But it's very clear, if you read the history of the
declaration, that this is what the British meant. There was no
Palestinian state in that area and Jewish people had bought a lot of
the land there and already had a significant presence.  It was
assumed by everyone that, once the Jews became the majority
population, there would be a Jewish state. Representatives of Jews
living in Palestine, at their first post-Balfour meeting, voted in
favour of calling the aim of the Zionist movement the establishment
of a "medina ivrit" (Jewish state), not a "national home".  The
British government knew what the Zionists wanted, and the so-called
Balfour Declaration -- actually just a letter from the foreign
secretary to the head of the British Zionist Federation -- was
typical British fudge, sending a signal to the Zionists that they
could have a "state" while at the same time trying to appease the
Arabs by using the word "homeland", although the Arabs, like everyone
else, knew where that was headed. (It was a typical British example
of "deniability" in fact.)

Anyway, my point here is that Robert Fisk knows this background very
well, but pretends not to, to make his point.

Fisk writes:

"This may not matter much to lazy writers like Mr Aspen [sic]. But
when it comes to the League of Nations being involved, we really are
into mythology. The League of Nations was created after the First
World War - had it existed in 1917, it might have stopped the whole
war - and Mr Asper is simply wrong (or, as he might have put it,
"lazy, sloppy or stupid") to suggest it existed in 1917.

My objection:

3.  This is a cheap point.  The so-called Mandate for Palestine (the
purpose of which was to put into effect the Balfour Declaration) was
formalized by 52 governments at the League of Nations in July 1922.
So Asper, summarizing all this in a speech, was out by 5 years. So
what?  Fisk knows what he meant.  But he wants to make him look
stupid, so he pretends not to.

These three points are typical of Fisk's writing when he's analysing
a situation, in my opinion.  He gets some impressive looking punches
in, but when you look closely, you see they're often based on the
careful omission of anything that would contradict his argument.

However, as a straightforward reporter (meaning
observer-in-the-field), Fisk is brilliant.  He knows how to swing his
gaze away from the angle everyone else is taking; he knows how to
look for what is NOT being said, rather than what is; and he doesn't
trust ANY government (not Arab, not Israeli, not American or
British).  I think he's honest, notwithstanding what I said about his
playing with facts when he's analysing.  I think he just gets so
pissed off, he stops being as careful as when he's actually out
reporting.

Mike, I'd love to see your paper if you don't mind sending it.

Sarah