>>During the last Gulf War, the British journalist Robert Fisk declined to be
part of the reporting pool in the Middle East, which was being controlled in
every way by the American military (where to stay, where to go, what to look
at, which tanks to get rides on etc - and of course the journalists loved it,
because it made them feel like soldiers).  Fisk decided to wander off to check
out some of the things they were being told - wanting to see them for himself.
He was "caught" and told to re-join the pool, and when he did, the people who
rounded on him the most were the other journalists!  Said he was "risking
spoiling things for everyone else."  So in this case even the journalists were
accepting that the notion of truth was secondary to whether they got "the
story" i.e. whether they got a version of events from a source who would be
considered reliable (the military) by their news organizations.  Whether it
was true or not, could be left to the Fisks of this world to explore, but
AFTER the war please, so as to not screw things up for the network
correspondents.  And then of course when journalists like Fisk do investigate
events after the fact, they're the only ones to reach their conclusions, and
so are not believed because of that - but they're the only ones to say these
things because they're the only ones who went looking for the truth, rather
than just accepting "the story" that was dished out to everyone else.
Sarah<<

Hi Sarah,
A clarification and a (friendly) warning. My paper is not (only) about
deniability. It is called 'Economical with the Truth? How language is the
first casualty in the British governments' propaganda war in Northern
Ireland', and the title is self-explanatory. I have it as a Word document if
you want a copy.
As to the warning, I see that above you mention Robert Fisk, who is, along
with John Pilger, the journalist I most respect and believe. Unfortunately,
mention of Fisk's name on this list is likely to cause extreme reactions among
some people here. In the aftermath of September 11 there was a long, sometimes
bitter debate about 'anti-American' feelings, comments and journalism. Fisk
was one of the most savaged in this regard and although I find his writing
wonderfully clear and definitely 'against the grain', I am in the minority
here. Your post (above) perhaps explains why. If you intend to refer to Fisk
as a 'good guy', put your helmet on NOW.
mike in bcn
NP Disposable Heroes of Hiphopcrisy - (If ever I would stop thinking about)
Music and Politics