Mine was less Epiphany than one of those quietish
Christmases where there's not a lot of money around,
so you're not expecting much. It was after Clouds and
before Ladies of the Canyon and it was summertime
(Hey, I thought you said Christmas? Never mind, figure
of speech. Move on.) That makes it 1969 according to
the album release dates. That makes me 16 at the time.

My family had moved from small-town Ontario to
big-city Toronto (not really. Burbs. So what.) A
friend of mine was visiting from the old home town.
She mentioned Joni and how good she was. Being
Canadian and afflicted with the then-prevalent (but
not so much now) attitude that anything Canadian was
inferior and somehow sucked, I was reluctant to take
her word for it, and figured I'd probably hate it, and
it would be too country or something, but nonetheless
sprung for Clouds at the local cheapy department store
(Zellers, or K-mart, or one of those. I think it cost
me $3.99, which, in those days, was probably quite a
few babysitting hours' worth of money.)

The things that happen when you're expecting not much
at all. From the opening notes of "Tin Angel", this
was the voice (the singing voice and the poet's voice)
I had been waiting for.

Bonus - there was another record I could buy and not
have to wait, since I didn't have and had never heard
Song to a Seagull either.

Double bonus - when Ladies of the Canyon came out, my
older sister bought it, but I kind of took it over and
played it all the time. Mysteriously it ended up in my
record collection when we all grew up and moved away
from home. Mugsie, if you're wondering what happened
to your LOTC album, wonder no more.

=====
Catherine
Toronto