I am pro-choice, but with sadness for the lives lost.

When we say this is MY body, as opposed to the foetus's -- on what grounds is it MY body? In a very real sense, the foetus assumes power over the body when a pregnancy begins.

The question of whose body this is, and ought to be, is complex and hearbreaking, and anyone who's able to take a clear position on it is almost certainly wrong.

A pregnancy is a fight between two lives: the mother's and the child's. Bree is right when he says that the foetus is a person (on what grounds would anyone deny them personhood?) -- but they are persons unable to defend themselves.

An unwanted pregnancy is a war between two bodies, a fight between two futures -- like all wars, it ends with a losing, dying side. When we kill, we kill, and we shouldn't deny it.

The question is: should the losing side have representation? The answer is surely yes. So the foetus and its representatives have a right and perhaps a duty to -- say -- make films showing us what abortion looks like, and what it entails, so that we enter into it knowingly.

Not all unwanted babies turn out badly. Not all wanted babies turn out well. Perhaps our desires shouldn't determine who lives and who dies, because we're not gods. This is the rallying cry of the anti-war movement -- who are we to take lives? Yet we do it daily, so long as the lives are those of unwanted children, or other kinds of people who, for whatever reason, can't defend themselves or make themselves heard.

Sarah