I hope I am right in thinking this post has enough Joni content, I first put
NJC on top but then took it out - do tell me if you think I'm wrong!

Chris Marshall wrote: I've spent an unhealthy amount of time navel-gazing,
analyzing what's going on in my head, analyzing what I want out of life,
analyzing my emotions, and so on. I've come to the conclusion that Joni
appeals to a large amount of GLBT folk because many of these people have
been through the same process, are going through it, or are aware that they
should, and end up empathising so strongly with her lyrics. Anyone with me
on this one? :) - --Chris Marshall

My reply: yes Chris, I'm very much with you on that one.  At least in this
way: I think we are all pretty introspective and emotionally intelligent on
this list, and that is one of the things that keeps us together.  In fact,
it is because I identify so much with the struggle most gays have to go
through (because I have had my own struggles for different reasons) that I
am probably, if anything, "prejudiced" in favour of gays.  I feel that by
being honest about their sexuality in spite of so much opposition, they have
often reached a maturity and understanding of life that appeals to me.  And
I am convinced it is this type of (gay or otherwise) person that discovers
this list and sticks with it, because it really suits them.  And Joni's
texts affirm that.

And speaking for myself, what attracted me most to Joni's music to start off
with (and probably still does) is the music itself, not the lyrics,
wonderful as they are.  Albums like Hejira and THOSL first of all draw me
for their sound.  It is a subtle, complex sound, full of moods which again
will attract a more sensitive sort of person, in my opinion.

But on the other hand, I think if you did a survey of people who have bought
Joni Mitchell records over the years, I think the gay percentage will be
much lower than on this list, because I think her music is not of the
typical "gay diva" type which seems to attract the biggest gay followings.
I could well be wrong, but that's my impression.

And quickly something else: I agree with Patrick Leader, I would hate to see
people using further subsections of lists to discuss certain subjects.
Quite simply: I would never get to them, and be very sorry to be missing
out!  This does not mean I really do read everything, I do need to sometimes
scan and scroll through, but at least I know WHAT I am missing!  I would
hope that everybody who sees subjects of no interest could just press the
delete button without too much bother.  This is not an argument against the
JC-NJC split, that seems to make good sense if some people want to cut back
that drastically what they receive, but for those of us who have agreed to
accept wider posts, I think we will just get into cliques and disappear if
we go off on sub-lists!
Lots of love to you al,
Lieve.

This message may contain privileged information. If you have received this message by
mistake, please keep it confidential and return it to the sender.

Although we have taken steps to minimise the risk of transmitting software viruses,
the EBRD accepts no liability for any loss or damage caused by computer viruses and
would advise you to carry out your own virus checks.
The contents of this e-mail do not necessarily represent the views of the EBRD.