<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: "Concrete concentration camp..."
>
> On this day, 57 years ago, the Auschwitz-Birkenau death camp was liberated
by the Russian army. Many view today as a day to commemorate the victims and
survivors of the Holocaust. Delete it if you must.

I'm puzzled with your dates here.  Surely, in can't be 57 years ago which
would be january 1946.
58 years ago would be january 1945.  Still that sounds very early since war
ended on May 8th.
My father was liberated by a drunk russian  who took the wrong turn at a
crossroad and, not knowing where he was headed, pushed the camp door open
with his tank.
That was on May 10th, 2 "extra" days.
For the record, as the red army  was approaching, the camp officers decided
to transfer the inmates to Terensienstadt from Buchenwald.  So they stuffed
everybody on cattle wagons and the transfer lasted 21 days, yes 21, during
which they had of course no food and over 90% of them died.  My father (aged
18 in 1945)  had to be carried out and he said he wouldn't have survived one
more day.

Laurent