Laurent Olszer wrote:

> For the record, as the red army  was approaching, the camp officers decided
> to transfer the inmates to Terensienstadt from Buchenwald.  So they stuffed
> everybody on cattle wagons and the transfer lasted 21 days, yes 21, during
> which they had of course no food and over 90% of them died.  My father (aged
> 18 in 1945)  had to be carried out and he said he wouldn't have survived one
> more day.

We have a wonderful Holocaust Museum here in St. Petersburg. One of the
recurring themes of the survivors is that they prayed for the Americans to
rescue them before the Russians. Your father is living proof of that hope.
Laurent, I hope you father's experiences are preserved somewhere for posterity.
Thank you for sharing it with us.

Jerry