What I seem to recall is that Chuck was starting to get cold feet with all the responsibilities of raising a baby. And perhaps Joni may have realized that Chuck was not the one for her. After all, she went down the aisle with him saying to herself "I can get outta this". She took a gamble to see if she could make it work.

Then there was the pressure coming from the nuns to hurry up and make a decision, because they told Joni that the older the baby gets, the harder the baby will be to place in a good home. This seems to be what cemented Joni's decision. It's such a sad - incredibly sad - situation.

Mia