Walt wrote, of the vinyl issue:

> doesnt anyone miss the city side/sea side chapters of song to a
> seagull?  doesnt anyone think its exciting to end a side with hejira
> and start another with sharon?  these subtlties are totally lost now
> with cds.

I agree, Walt.  What about the four sides of DJRD?  There
were "stories" to be told with vinyl albums, and the sides were the
chapters.  The moods changed from side 1 to side 2, etc.  Look
at "Clouds":  on side 1 we have "I Don't Know Where I Stand," but by
side 2 it's "I Think I Understand."  Okay, I'm simplifying, but yes, I
really do miss the chapter effect.

> and while i don't agree that ticks and pops add much

Actually, I sort of like those ticks and pops, if only for the
nostalgia.  I don't often play my vinyl albums, but I enjoy the entire
process when I do:  removing the album, tilting (and flipping and
tilting) it to check condition, placing it on the turntable, cleaning
it, setting the needle up (fiddling with the turntable speed on those
units with the strobe) ...  Those days are gone, though (like the days
of sifting seeds from a new bag).

> at about the freakin art of the jackets?

That was my initial complaint when cds first came about.  I really,
really miss that.  I can't imagine kids displaying cd booklets on their
walls the way many of us displayed album covers.  And you don't walk
into your friend's apartment now and see cds leaning against a crate.
If you did, you'd barely notice them.

I enjoy cds for their convenience, but (for me) it's simply not as
exciting to buy and open and play a new cd as it was to do those things
with a new LP.

Things are just too pristine these days.

Lori

~