Sarah wrote:

"The Catholic Church teaches that there is a god, that heaven and hell
are real, that individuals can have no direct relationship with god
but must commune via a priest, that the pope is infallible, that
abortion is a sin, that sex outside marriage is a sin. These beliefs
are false in my view, and exceptionally damaging to individuals and
to society. So - I can't think any good of it. Are you saying we have
to respect something just because lots of people are involved in it?
Lots of people love Celine Dion.

You're right that individual Catholic priests and nuns have done good
things, but good people do good things regardless of whether their
goodness has been institutionalized. The Catholic church is
responsible for a lot more evil in the world than good."

Sarah, I've always enjoyed your posts, even when I didn't agree with them.  Your
positions are almost always well thought out and well-articulated.  However, some of
the conclusions you reach here are vast overgeneralizations, and others are downright
false.  As such, I just can't let them slide by.

The Catholic church is responsible for more evil than good?  That conclusion is based
on--WHAT, exactly?  I am reminded of an interview I saw of the noted British historian
Sir Martin Gilbert just last night on C-Span.  Gilbert, in speaking of his latest book
(which coincidentally, details the actions of ordinary good people, including
Catholics, during World War II) stated something to the effect that we always pay more
attention to evil than to good.  It grabs our attention.  We see it before anything
else in our field of vision.

More bluntly put, shit stinks.

Yes, the Catholic Church has been responsible for more than its share of especially
pungent shit.  There's the Inquisition.  There's the Church's controversial action
(or, more properly put, inaction) while millions of Jews and others were murdered
during the Holocaust.  More recently, there are the pedophile priests, and the
institutional church's inexcusable coverup of their actions.  If there is a God, as
Catholics believe there is, and if there is any punishment in the
afterlife--self-imposed, or originating elsewhere--then the souls involved in these
atrocities should receive theirs, and it should be far more severe than than for any
of the "sins" you've listed.  If there is indeed a hell, an especially horrific ring
of it should be reserved for these faithless ones.

But what of all that nameless, faceless good, carried out both by individuals, AND BY
THE CHURCH AS AN INSTITUTION?  What about the nuns who taught me in high school, who
first alerted me to the abuses of farmworkers by the Gallo wine company in California,
and who, in a more general sense, heightened a political awareness which has lasted
and informed me for the better part of a lifetime?  What about the brave Catholic
priests and nuns and laypersons who have taught people and healed people and been
present for indigent people, like Joni in 1965, when no one else was willing to be, in
cities and remote locations to which no one else wanted to go?  What about the
systematic establishment of health care and education in the United States that Debra
mentioned?  What about the U.S. bishops' pastoral letter of circa 1983, which spoke
passionately in favor of economic justice, and which warned, if memory serves, of the
danger of nuclear proliferation?  And what of the stance in r!
ecent weeks by many identified with the Catholic church against the all-but certain
war with Iraq, which will all but certainly take many lives, innocent or not?  (You
may not agree that church opposition in that last example constitutes a good, but that
only serves to illustrate how murky this business of labeling good and evil can
sometimes get).

And I could go on and on, but you get the idea.

You might say, as you implied, that the individuals involved did good almost despite
their Catholicism, or at least, incidentally to it.  I beg to differ.  Some of the
actions described above were, indeed, taken by the institutional church.  However, of
those that weren't, how many individual actors engaged in the good they did, sometimes
at great personal risk to themselves, precisely because they believed that acting in
that manner was a direct outgrowth of their Catholic faith?  Quite a lot, I venture to
say.  At least, I know quite a lot who fall in that category from my own personal
experience.  They are anonymous in the eyes of the rest of the world, but their number
is vast, and we see them every day.

You presented a list of what Catholicism is and isn't, from the vantage point of one
who is not a member of that church or, as I understand it, of any church.  I would
agree with some of your characterizations, vehemently disagree with others, and
qualify still more.  For example:  yes, Catholics believe that there is a God.  No, we
do not believe that individuals can have no direct relationship with Him/Her, but must
"commune" through a priest:  the priest can be a mediator, especially through the
sacraments, but certainly, isn't necessary for direct communication with the divine.
If you believe that that is so, the what do you make of the great Christian/Catholic
tradition of prayer through the ages, and even direct mystical union, as exemplified
by saints Teresa of Avila, John of the Cross, and Julian of Norwich, not to mention
prayer in the lives of millions of ordinary Catholics today?  Yes, the Church teaches
that certain kinds of papal pronouncements are infallible, !
but that doctrine is of recent origin, and only applies if the pope speaks under
carefully delineated circumstances, not to every word that leaves his lips, or even
every pronouncement on church doctrine that he makes.

Yes, the church teaches that sex outside marriage and abortion are sins.  It also
teaches that excessive "collateral damage" in war; harsh, inhumane social welfare
policies, nuclear proliferation, bone-crushing poverty, and racial discrimination are
sins.  You may or may not agree with every item on this list.  I myself part company
from the church on several (notably, the two that you mentioned).  However, the common
thread that I find running through all, as misguided as some of us believe the thought
process behind inclusion of certain items may be, is concern for the dignity of the
human person at all stages of life.  The church sees itself as protecting human
dignity and self-esteem, not taking it away.  Does it fall short of the mark
sometimes, both in its institutional pronouncements, and its the actions of
individuals claiming to act in its name?  Absolutely.  Does it often actually succeed
in protecting human dignity?

Just as certainly:  yes.

In conclusion:  is the church, or are those who represent her, perfect?  Not by a long
shot.  So often, "the church" nothing more than a muddle of ordinary, flawed men and
women, muddling about, trying to do the best they can in a very imperfect world.  And
some of the examples of its most grievous failures have been stunning in the lack of
compassion, or even, unadulterated evil, involved.  For those affected by that lack of
compassion and that evil, I hope and pray for healing, and, where appropriate, for
justice, including criminal and monetary sanctions. But the heights reached by the
church and its followers have also been stunning, in a wholly different way.  And in
the middle, a lot of faith-filled people, inspired by what they believe, are doing
their best to do, and be, good.

My two cents (OK, a lot more than that!).

Mary P.