As fate would have it, I have watched two films this week dealing with the
above topic. To be sure, two very different films, the first, 'Charlotte Grey'
was more a WWII love story with a little subplot about saving two Jewish
children from being 'sent away' from the French village where they were
living.
The second film is called 'Amen' and is directed by Constantin Costa-Gavras.
It deals with two people, a Catholic priest and a Waffen SS officer who
together try to get the Pope to denounce the mass deportation and
extermination of Jews. This was discussed here lately (on the list) and I
wonder whether the protagonists of that debate (step forward Vince and
Laurent) have seen the film or would like to. I'll try to look up the digests
to see again what was said about the Pope's inactivity or otherwise in that
matter. The film is in English but with French, German and Rumanian actors and
crew. It's very interesting I think and well worth a look for those interested
in the theme.
Mike