Bob Muller wrote (in reply to my defense of CMIAR) - :

"I see a lot more commercial compromise on CMIARS than I do ambition. Let's
look at the "stars" that were recruited to "play parts" in her songs, and how

> obviously contrived and manipulative it was:
>
> Secret Place - Peter Gabriel (adult contemporary)
> Dancin' Clown - Billy Idol/Steve Stevens/Tom Petty (the MTV crowd)
> Cool Water - Willie Nelson (country pop)
> Snakes & Ladders - Don Henley (adult contemporary)"

If you've forgotten, go look at where these artists were on the charts in
1988, and you can see that there was the hope of drawing from their audiences
and assimilating them with Joni."

I just do not get your point here, Bob. I could understand it better if you
thought that Joni composed the songs cited above in order to fit the
performers she eventually recruited. But I doubt that was so. Much more
likely, she wrote the songs to her own standards, and then looked for some
talents to round out the presentation. I love My Secret Place (and that there
are two performers, although I find Gabriel's part a bit androgenous for my
taste). You did not mention Lakota and Tea Leaf in this list, although they
had (less famous) accompanists. But these works called for counterpoint and
harmony, and she went looking for something other than her own overlays. In
each case (except the truly dreadful S&L - ironic, those initials, eh ?), the
fit was obviously natural and not at all contrived, IMO. As for manipulative,
it would not surprise me if appearing on a JM album lent more artistic
credibility as a payoff to those "recruits"" than it offered to joni in the
form of potential additional sales or exposure. I could see Billy Idol, for
example, thinking "well, everyone thinks I'm just a limited talent,
whitehaired, S&M MTV pop star lightweight, but look, JM sees something of
artistic worth in me, maybe y'all should pay attention too".

> Then add to it the fact that most of the record has that dated 80's
> synth-wash all over it, and I see it as Joni (with a big push from Klein)
> trying to camouflage in with the zeitgeist instead of following the beat of
> her own drummer (or the beat of black wings as the case may be).

In the progression of things, I found CMIAR to be much more natural than DED,
in this regard. Yes, there were a lot of tracks, but they were called for by
the art. i do not think that a single song was written here with the thought
that "here's one that could be a hit, and might help sell the album". That
was not true of WTRF, for instance, which had two or three such cuts.

Sorry, I think she was just trying to make good art here. Not a total
success, to be sure, but not at all like you portayed it, IMO. I mean, Billy
Idol and Tom Petty played bit parts, really. And even Willie Nelson and
Gabriel were used sparingly - supporting actors, really. It's not like they
were just pop duet singles.

Bob S.