--- Lucy Hone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dare I admit this? IS IT TIME FOR ME TO MAKE A
> REVELATION.....Oh will I be
> de-listed..WILLL MY FRIENDS NEVER MAIL ME AGAIN?. AS
> I FACE MY NEMESIS I
> SALUTE YOU AND THANK YOU ALL FOR HAVING ALLOWED ME
> THIS BRIEF TIME OF HAPPY
> TOGETHERNESS.....
>
> Me and Hejira... the album....
>
> I was given a "burned copy" of Hejira last year and
> only started to listen to
> the album when I joined the list...(December last
> year).
>
> The words to the songs (those that I have read) on
> Hejira are wonderful... but
> musically it does not do a lot for me. All that
> fretless bass wobbling
> about...

Just my opinion but maybe you ARE trying too hard.
Hejira isn't one of my favourites either, but I think
you have to be in the right frame of mind to listen to
it and you have to make time to hear the whole thing.
(You don't have to, but it helps.)

Hejira isn't something you can listen to as background
music, nor is it something you should think too much
about while listening. You have to let it sneak up on
you. It's meditation music, but not meditation of the
passive kind. You have to be in a particular state of
mind. I don't think I'm doing a very good job of
explaining this - it's something I call "slipping
sideways". It's the thing that happens when you go
into a sort of trancelike state while still awake.
It's what happens when you're writing and the writing
takes over; or when you're doing something like
running or bicycling and you go into that "zone"
thing.

I suggest you put it aside for a while and then try it
again later. Ideally you should play it without
letting yourself know you're going to (?!) - that's a
bit of a challenge. Do it spur of the moment - don't
plan it too much ahead.

(Really not looking forward to going out today as
we've been plunged back into the deep freeze today
after being teased with above freezing temps
yesterday. Could be a good Hejira-listening day
though.)

=====
Catherine
Toronto