on Sun, 02 Mar 2003
David Marine wrote

> Hey List -- This from the PBS site: > "Joni Mitchell performed on Quincy Jones' 1986 book/recording, > Children First." Anyone have any info on this?

David,

RE: "CHILDREN FIRST: a celebration of children" by Top Photographers and Recording Artists

here's the text from the back cover.

      "A Beautiful Book and CD collaboration featuring photographs
       by Bruce Weber, Steven Meisel, Arthur Elgart, and more than
       seventy other top photographers, as well as music by

       Eric Clapton, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, Holly Palmer,
       Nu Flavor, Me'Shell Ndegeocello, and other outstanding
       recording artists.

CHILDREN FIRST

A Special package To Benefit Homes For The Homeless.

the enclosed CD contains Joni's LOTC version of "For Free".

here's the Forward to the book.

       Since its inception in 1986, 'Homes For The Homeless'
       has served more than 9,000 homeless families and 21,300
       homeless children.  The donation you have made by
       purchasing "CHILDREN FIRST: A CELEBRATION OF CHILDREN"
       will allow them to continue to develop creative strategies
       for battling the effects of homelessness and urban poverty
       on the lives of children and their families.

       Today there are approximately 2.3 million homeless children
       in America.  That is unacceptable in a country that boasts
       of being the greatest nation on the planet.  The children
       of our country are our future, and as we approach the
       twenty-first century, we can't afford to let them grow up
       without the skills necessary to survive in the new century.
       if we do, the end result will be continued growth of the
       homeless community.

       with a philosophy that education is the key to breaking
       the cycle of homelessness and poverty, Homes For The Homeless
       and the programs that they have developed are not only
       sucessfulin ending this horrific cycle of homelessness,
       but in breaking the cycle of dependcy as well.

Quincy Jones

hopefully this answers your question.

andmoreagain,
simon