>From the Toronto Star interview:
  Instead her radios are tuned to talk stations offering news flashes and
political commentary, which all seem like madness to her.
"I wander through my house trying to get a picture of what is happening to
the human psyche," she says in a tone that's both perplexed and angry.

That would be enough to send anyone off the deep end. She should come here and talk to
us,
we don't talk about the w-word ( on Joni-only ).

>From my perspective as an outsider (Canadian), She described the situation herself
perfectly well in 1968  with  her lament,   The Fiddle and the Drum.

                                                     And so once again
                                                     My dear Johnny my dear friend
                                                     And so once again you are
fighting' us all
                                                     And when I ask you why
                                                     You raise your sticks and cry,
and I fall
                                                     Oh, my friend
                                                     How did you come
                                                     To trade the fiddle for the drum

                                                     You say I have turned
                                                     Like the enemies you've earned
                                                     But I can remember
                                                     All the good things you are
                                                     And so I ask you please
                                                     Can I help you find the peace and
the star
                                                     Oh, my friend
                                                     What time is this
                                                     To trade the handshake for the
fist

                                                     And so once again
                                                     Oh, America my friend
                                                     And so once again
                                                     You are fighting us all
                                                     And when we ask you why
                                                     You raise your sticks and cry and
we fall
                                                     Oh, my friend
                                                     How did you come
                                                     To trade the fiddle for the drum

                                                     You say we have turned
                                                     Like the enemies you've earned
                                                     But we can remember
                                                     All the good things you are
                                                     And so we ask you please
                                                     Can we help you find the peace
and the star
                                                     Oh my friend
                                                     We have all come
                                                     To fear the beating of your drum

                                                     Joni Mitchell  1968

If anyone has personal opinions on the w-word please use NJC.

Doug