RR wrote

And [Asus2] so, once again, my dear [F] Johnny my dear friend
And [Am] so, once again, you are [G#] fighting us all
And [E/B bass] when we ask you why
You [Am] raise your slicks and cry and we fall
[A]Oh my friend, how did you [D/F#bass] come to trade the
[D/A bass] fiddle for the [Asus2] drum

Respectfully, I don't know for sure that there ARE chords. Something akin to
a drone (we used to hear about that re "Indian music" or ragas, remember)
might work better.

                           LAHM

I hear the modality that David refers to, but my ears pick up a pretty
straightforward set of chords, with minor transition issues. I wonder how
Joni would have played it on piano at that time (or on guitar, assuming that
would have been her preference).

The structure I hear is (I suspect some transition chords are missing)

And [A] so, once again, my dear [Esus4] Johnny my dear friend[Am}
And [Am] so, once again, you are [Esus4] fighting us all [E]
And [E] when we ask you why
You [Am] raise your slicks and cry and we fall
[A]Oh my friend, how did you [D] come to trade the
[D ? bass] fiddle [Dm] for the [A] drum.

Yes, I hear a lot of major minor shifting. Because of all of the modality, I
suspect there are multiple variations that would hang together technically. I
would like to know how Joni was hearing it.

Bob Sart