When ever I hear this line, I imagine Joni watching some old rerun of say the
Donna Reed show, or some other classic 50s/60s family sitcom.  Father Knows
Best - that sort thing.  The idealized family portrait.  It has always
sounded like a follow up to Song For Sharon to me, where as a little girl,
she has this dream of getting married, and living a 'perfect' life.  As she
grows up, her goals change, and she realizes that she was just chasing
dreams.  Then while watching TV one day, this rerun comes on, and she flashes
back on how that ideal used to appeal to her.  She no longer aspires to that
vision of life, but seeing it again on TV, she's some how haunted by it.

To me, what's so powerful about that short, simple line is that it can apply
to so many situations.  Who hasn't had dreams, ideals, or ambitions that at
one time seemed unshakable, yet over time you either out grew them, or even
worse, simply abandoned them.

I have no idea if this is what Joni actually meant, but I get goosebumps
every time I hear this line.

Jack