In a message dated 3/16/2003 12:22:23 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> But didn't Joni write a song very early in her career for CBC, or maybe
> something that was picked up by one particular CBC station?  I think I got
> that from the now out-of-print Lenore Fleischer biography,
> circa 1976.

Yes, that would be "The Way It Is", which she wrote (and performed) for the CBC show
of the same name. The JMDL video tree has a couple different versions of her singing
it. She also performed it in her stage act, at least she did in January at Club 47,
with a story about the whole experience.

The melody is a bit challenging, but rewards repeated listenings, and lyrically it's
very cool, and very politically charged:

http://www.jonimitchell.com/TheWayItIsUnLyrics.html

Bob

NP: Steve Miller Band, "Dance, Dance, Dance"