I hope I'm not being predictably Manhatt-e-centric, but I always thought that Channel 5 referred to what was then WNEW-TV in New York. Prior to joining the FOX network in the 90s, Channel 5 was WNEW-TV. (It's now WNYW-TV.) As was the case with smaller broadcasters, the Metromedia group was starved for its own programming during prime time and for a period in the 70s and 80s ran reruns of feature films from 8-10pm most weeknights. Of course, they were littered with commercials for local retailers like Crazy Eddie ("PRICES SO LOW...THEY'RE INSANE!"),and time compressed to the point of being nearly unwatchable. BUT, they dug pretty deep and played films that were rarer and more provocative than the networks' infrequent offerings.

CC

"Ghosts of the future, phantoms of the past... rattle, rattling in the spoon and the glass." -- JM