Dear fellow JMDL'ers, (it feels great to say that!):
I confess to wanting a bit of escapism after Bush's
speech last night, so I went to see the film "Laurel
Canyon", mainly on account of some of the postings on
this list.  I was very pleasantly surprised with it.
Although the setting is current times, it very
definitely evokes the feeling of the "Ladies of the
Canyon" era of the late 1960's, early 1970's, as the
Director/Writer said were her intentions.  IMHO, the
settings were absolutely perfect in their details,
(i.e. shabby-chic houses perched on hillsides with
killer views and secluded swimming pools, overgrown
"wild" gardens and landscapes, recording studios in
the back yard, WILD parties at poolside, AND in spite
of everything, the garages all had Porsches and
Mercedes in them...this IS L.A. after all)!
AND a Joni Sighting (has this already been added to
the site?) as Kate Beckinsale peruses the photos on
Jane's, (Frances McDormond) "wall of fame", and sees
her posed with JM herself!  Also, at the end credits,
in the list of people to thank, was very prominently
included "Joni Mitchell".
Anyway, in my totally unqualified and completely
biased opinion, it is a Must See.
Everyone, TRY to have a good week, in spite of
everything and
Cheers,
Andy Smith
Greenbrae, CA