Before I get into my review of Saturday's show, I have to thank my JMDL pals who made
it possible for me to experience this once-in-a-lifetime event:
Paul, who had never even met me yet opened his home to me and welcomed me so openly &
sincerely.
Bobsart, who provided transportation and GREAT company at the Met museum and Central
Park, where we had hours of enjoyable conversation on a beautiful Sunday afternoon.
Heather & Patrick, who shared the concert with me, and also were state-of-the-art tour
guides at the Met.
Rose & Nikki who made the effort to get there and enjoy the concert with me.
Debra, who made so many of the arrangements, got a lot of information, and brought
water & snacks to keep up our strength during the marathon.
Maureen, a great pleasure meeting you and thanks for the water!
Jenny, always great seeing you, especially when you bring cute friends! :~)
OK, now on to the music - which I was afraid I wasn't going to see due to stalled
subways, but luck was with me & I walked in to Symphony Space moments before the
program began. As more luck would have it, the day was GORGEOUS and there was a big
peace march planned, so there was no line to get in.
Sylvia McNair - Chelsea Morning, California: Sylvia is an accomplished opera singer,
and obviously a big Joni fan as well as she effortlessly navigated her way through
these 2 with perfect pitch & emotion to wonderful piano accompaniment.
Laurie Anderson - Both Sides Now: My first tears of the day...Laurie was scheduled for
later in the program but was on her way to the peace march, so she came out early and
performed BSN in a very moving fashion, singing in a multi-octave style, with lots of
passion and accompanying herself on violin.
Jason Moran - The Priest: Jason is a jazz pianist, and thus declared that he wasn't
going to sing. Played an intense, free-form but focused interpretation of The
Priest.Jason Moran/Alicia Hall - Woodstock: He was then joined by vocalist Alicia
Hall, and she REALLY brought down the house, and again lots of tears in my case. Very
moving, and like so many others she emphasized the pro-peace lyrics in Joni's song and
showed those who may not have been aware how relevant Joni's lyrics remain after 35
years.
Lucy Kaplansky - Carey, Willy: A big crowd favorite, she played Carey on the guitar,
and Willy on the piano. Like she did on the radio, she intro'd Willy by saying that
she played it always in private. Both of these were spot-on.
Lorinda Lisitza - A theatre performer & singer from Canada, she intro'd her set with
praise for Joni as a Canadian, and said that she was going to do a "Canadian" set,
that is, Joni songs that referenced Canada. Her first song was an acapella Cherokee
Louise, which was beautiful, and an appropriate was to present it. She used the
starkness & the silence to emphasize the "punch line" that transforms the song to its
darker side. She was then joined by vocalist Karen Mack & pianist/vocalist Michael
Holland (who has a WONDERFUL cover of A Case of You recorded) and they launched into a
fine version of Song For Sharon, with Michael providing dead-on harmonies. You could
tell by watching him that this song was written in his soul. Then they delivered a
fun, bouncy version of "Ray's Dad's Cadillac", into which Michael inserted a bit of
"Car On A Hill" and Karen inserted a bit of "You Dream Flat Tires". This group was
well-rehearsed, and it showed. They were clearly overjoyed to be t!
here.
But we had NO idea of what was to come. Part 2 to follow.
Bob
NP: Joni, "Carey" 2/23/72