In a message dated 3/26/2003 2:32:11 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> bob, your reporting was amazing, thank you for taking the time to do this, i
> especially love your cliff hanger sentences at the end of
> each post!

I guess that comes from reading too many Hardy Boys books! :~)

A couple of other notes...Kay York changed the lyric in Sex Kills to "and the oil
BURNS..." obviously referring to the Iraqi wells.

There was definitely an over-riding feeling of relevance of Joni's career and the
current world situation.

I went running at lunchtime, and was replaying Helga Davis' set over in my head, and I
started crying again...while I was running! That's never happened to me before, I was
really touched by what she and her ensemble did. Especially this section:

"He said "I never had nothin'
Nothin' I could believe in
My girl killed our unborn child
Without even grievin
I put my hands on her belly
To feel the kid kickin' damn!
She'd been to some clinic
Oh the beat of black wings"

"They want you they need you
They train you to kill
To be a pin on some map
Some vicarious thrill
The old hate the young
That's the whole heartless thing
The old pick the wars
We die in 'em
To the beat of the beat of black wings"

It was just SO powerful...to see these words being sung by someone who can express it
all...OK, I guess I'm belaboring the point. It's really hard for me to put into words.

Bob

NP: Joni, "All I Want" Durham, NC 3/24/74