From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2003 3:21 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Woman of Heart And Mind

Yeah, there's been a lot of cross-polination.  Since day One.  I was
first aware of the phrase "world music" when reviews of Paul Simon's
"Graceland" appeared.  While I like the album, he wasn't the first
person to be influenced by other cultures.  On the JMDL, I said
something like "Joni was doing world music before the phrase was
invented."  I guess all of us who "get it" know that.  Karen expressed
it nearly the same way in her bio.

Lama

RR wrote:
>>The 'world music pioneer' tag doesn't really ring true. Josephine
Baker in the '30's. Carmen Miranda in the 40's. Stan Getz and
Herbie Mann brought Brazilian music to the mainstream in the early
60's. Harry Belafonte's "Banana Boat Song", Trini Lopez' "Lemon
Tree". Even Sinatra did two LP's with Jobim. Santana crossed
latin music with rock in 1969, while Joni was 5 full albums away
from using the Barundi drums. Simon & Garfunkel's "El Condor
Pasa" used a Peruvian band in 1970. There is even a short reggae-
style break in The Beatles "I Call Your Name" from 1964. Miles
Davis' "Bitches Brew" in 1969 fused jazz and African influences..in
the world of jazz, using African and Latin influences was old news;
Dizzy Gillespie, Tito Puente,,,fingers getting tired....>>