Hi,

    we have a growing number of web applications that help mappers
pinpoint possible errors. If you are a JOSM user, getting from a
situation listed on a web page to actually editing the area in JOSM has
been a bit cumbersome in the past.

RemoteControl plugin to the rescue: With this plugin installed in JOSM,
your editor will listen for commands on a local TCP port (8111).
Commands take the form of HTTP GET requests. So a web application
wanting to offer easy editing in JOSM can now do something like this:

<a
href="http://localhost:8111/load_and_zoom?left=8.5&right=8.6&top=51.0&bottom=50.8";>Edit

this area in JOSM</a>

and when the user clicks the link, his (already running) JOSM instance
will load the area in question. It is smart enough to know when not to
load an area because it's been loaded before, and it can also be
instructed to highlight individual objects in the downloaded area.

I'm sure there are many things that need improvement but it's a start
and I encourage you to give it a try. The plugin is available through
the usual channels and WILL ONLY WORK WITH JOSM BUILDS FROM 05 AUG OR
LATER. There's minimalist documentation here:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/JOSM/Plugins/RemoteControl

And the source is in SVN of course.

Bye
Frederik

--
Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ##  N49°00'09" E008°23'33"