Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Generally I'd avoid long lines but we must take care not to make life
> difficult for translators. Does it pose a problem for translation if
> one says
>
> tr("some " + "long " + "message")
>
> instead of
>
> tr("some long message")

As tr() is a static function that is called at runtime this should not
make any difference.

> It is more important for us to have good and readable comments in the
> code than generated HTML Javadoc. Nobody (as far as I am aware) uses
> Javadoc with JOSM.

Yes and no. No one uses the generated JavaDoc HTML pages, that is right,
but todays IDE's like Eclipse do display help tooltips/panels that use
the HTML syntax. E.g. I like the structured approach of <ul><li> lists
and similar data.

> Of course it would be good to have all, but faced
> with a choice I'd opt for good and readable comments instead of good and
> readable Javadoc ;-)
 > If possible I would say the comments should not be touched by auto
 > formatting.

Until now it worked without formatting, therefore I agree that we can
omit JavaDoc formatting for now (as well as formatting comments starting
with // or /*

I created a style sheet, but it is a bit too large for the mailing list
(27K). Therefore I created a new ticket and attached it.

http://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/1462

The attached file is the exported version of the source code formatter
style. If we agree on using it we can update the default values
currently stored in ".settings/org.eclipse.jdt.core.prefs" within the
repository.

GeoJ