Frederik Ramm schrieb:

> The challenge here will probably be two-fold: First, finding the right
> place to display the sign. (Different for left and right traffic btw.)

Yes, that will probably be the hardest part.

> Second, rotate the icon which is something we don't currently do.

I'm not even 100% sure if it's really necessary to rotate the icons - or
if the intend is better displayed by the geometry (a prototype might
help here). While it might help to get the direction of the icons, they
might be harder to get what their about if their turned 90 degrees or so.

I can't remember how it's displayed in driving school ;-)

> For performance, I guess it will be required to create the rotated icons
> once and store them somehow, instead of rotating the icon whenever you
> want to draw it. A similar situation might occur in determining the spot
> where the icon should be displayed; it is probably unfeasible to do that
> calculation for every redraw.

If someone would provide the mechanism in JOSM to display this stuff, I
promise to provide to required german icons in 90 degree turns to
display them (or 45 degrees if it turns out to be necessary).

> (We might also have to support different signs for different countries,
> e.g. the "no left turn" is a white-on-blue straight on/right curved
> arrow in Germany, but a black-on-white left curved arrow with red
> strike-through in other countries...)

Yes, but we have that problem already. It would be nice to have a german
post_office icon, an english city_limit sign in the presets, ...

Displaying turn restrictions with the simplest possible solution will
already help a lot IMHO. We can improve that step by step.

Regards, ULFL