Ah, I see you found out yourself what shift does now :). Double
clicking to end, or clicking last node again makes it especially easy
for Potlatch switchers because that's how drawing is ended in Potlatch
since like always. Also, there is a little indication of what will
happen when you have a look at the status bar – it's really subtle
though, hence the highlighting/changing cursor depending on where you
hover and/or which modifiers are pressed.
Hopefully the users will find the "new way" easier to use once they
get used to it.

You are right in one thing though, functionality isn't really exposed
anywhere. It's a bit for the select tool where it says in the status
bar "ctrl to toggle, shift to add, …" but it's really overcrowded and
not easily parsable for the human eye. I changed that for drawing mode
to be as precise as possible with the disadvantage of not showing the
modifiers anywhere at all. You have to go to the wiki to find out
about them. Maybe a more extensive tooltip on the mode icons could
solve this?

About ESC: Yeah, you can hit ESC to end drawing, too. It deselects the
newly created node though. Oh, and I just found out that you can keep
ESC pressed to restore previous SHIFT behaviour.

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 13:20, Dirk Stöcker <openstreet...@dstoecker.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Mar 2009, David Earl wrote:
>
>> OK, with that information I can now do everything I used to, though it
>> still takes an additional click. And when you're ready to start another
>> way, your attention is focussed elsewhere and I think I'll end up having
>> to move the mouse back to the end of the previous path quite often. (If
>> ESC or some such key did this too, would be useful?). But there's no
>> indication you can repeat click, or indeed that you can double click.
>
> Press <U> to unselect is another keyboard based alternative.
>
>> I'm sure I can get used to it, but arbitrarily changing the user
>> interaction does seem rather draconian, and needs a prompt somehow,
>> somewhere. Once you know, you know. But until you know, it is very hard
>> to find out.
>
> It is noted at the start screen BTW. And yes you right that changing user
> interaction is not nice, but on the other hand there have been good
> reasons to do so.
>
> The remaining users will learn about that change and we have a better
> interface :-) Especially new users had lots of problems with the dangling
> rubber band which are now solved.
>
> Ciao
> --
> http://www.dstoecker.eu/ (PGP key available)

Please encrypt your mail:
http://mathphys.fsk.uni-heidelberg.de/~stefan/publickey.asc
FP: 2620 E737 FD50 60AB 86B6 1B9D 3BFD AFFB 5B15 6893